The cold weather may make you dread your workout, but packing away your workout gear and waiting for the warm weather to come back is not the solution. It is important to keep your muscles active year round. Here are a few tips to keep your muscles healthy during the winter months:
- Warm up first. It's important to get your blood flowing and your muscles warm before your workout.
- Always listen to your body. Watch out for soreness of the tendons or tendonitis, it may be a sign that there is a strain or that the muscle may tear. Consult one of our doctors for more information.
- Keep warm. Keeping limbs warm, such as hands and feet, will prevent your body from releasing too much body heat. Wear clothing that is appropriate to the weather, as keeping body temperatures stable is crucial in maintaining health.
- Lighten your weight. Joints may not be properly warmed in the winter and using heavier weights may increase your risk of injury.
- Don’t forget to stretch. Stretching after workouts can help prevent soreness and will allow you to recover from your workout quicker.
For more information, please contact the doctors at Black Hills Orthopedic & Spine Center by calling (605) 341-1414.