Lew Papendick, MD
To view more patient reviews and ratings for Dr. Papendick, please click below.
Knee, Shoulder, & Sports Medicine
Dr. Papendick is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knee, shoulder, and sports medicine. Dr. Papendick began practicing at Black Hills Orthopedic & Spine Center in 1989.
After completing his Bachelor of Arts degree in chemistry at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, Dr. Papendick received his Doctor of Medicine degree at the University of South Dakota in Vermillion, South Dakota.
From there, Dr. Papendick completed his internship at the Medical College of Wisconsin in general surgery and then completed his orthopedic residency program at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Once he completed his residency, Dr. Papendick underwent his fellowship in sports medicine and arthroscopy at the Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Center.
Dr. Papendick is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. Lew Papendick is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who is available to see patients in Rapid City, South Dakota.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Papendick enjoys spending time with his family, hunting, fishing, biking, and running.
Concordia College, Moorhead, MN, 1980
University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD, 1984
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 1985
Orthopedic Residency Program, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 1989
Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy, Mississippi Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Center, MS, 1995
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- South Dakota State Medical Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- South Dakota Diplomat, American Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Black Hills Surgical Hospital
- Chadron State College
- Rapid City Central High School
- Rapid City Stevens High School
- St. Thomas More High School
- Master Instructor, Advanced Shoulder Arthroscopy Orthopedic Learning Center
- Chairman of Management Committee, Black Hills Surgery Center
- Arthroscopic ACL reconstruction
- Arthroscopic assisted rotator cuff repair
- Primary total knee arthroplasty
- Arthroscopic meniscal surgery
- Arthroscopic shoulder Bankart labral repair
- Primary total shoulder arthroplasty
- Shoulder injections
- Knee injections
- "Anatomy Specific Repair Techniques for Posterior Shoulder Instability" Journal of Southern Orthopedic Association , Fall, 1995, Volume IV, #3, Pg. 169-176.
- "Endobutton / Button Endoscopic Fixation Technique and Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction" Arthroscopy Journal, April, 1995.
- "Anterior Middle Glenohumeral Instability" Research conducted between 1994 – 1995.
- "Allograft vs. Autograft Patella Bone-Tendon-Bone for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction" Presented at the American Orthopedics Sports Medicine Association, Toronto, Canada, 1995.
- "Preseason Evaluation of the Athlete" To be published in The Sports Medicine Orthopedic Knowledge Update
- "Randomized Study Comparing Bone-Tendon-Bone and Quadrupled Semitendonosus for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction" Prospective, one-year preliminary results pending.
Phone: (605) 341-1414
Office: Rapid City, SD