Dr. Fromm is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in joint replacement, knee, shoulder, and sports medicine, including the latest techniques in knee and shoulder arthroscopic surgery. He began practicing at Black Hills Orthopedic & Spine Center in 1997.
After completing his Bachelor of Science degree in biology from The University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah, Dr. Fromm received his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of South Dakota School of Medicine in Vermillion, South Dakota. Following medical school, he completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at KU School of Medicine–Wichita in Wichita, Kansas.
After completing his residency, Dr. Fromm went on to complete his fellowship in sports medicine and orthopedic surgery at Lake Tahoe Fracture & Orthopedic in South Lake Tahoe, California.
Dr. Fromm is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He has also earned numerous patents in developing techniques and implants for minimally invasive knee and shoulder arthroscopic surgeries that are currently used worldwide.
Dr. Stuart Fromm is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who is available to see patients in Rapid City, South Dakota.
When he is not seeing patients for joint replacement, knee, shoulder, and sports medicine-related injuries, Dr. Fromm enjoys spending time with his wife and three children; outdoor recreation, specifically winter sports; and being a filmmaker.
- The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, 1986
- University of South Dakota School of Medicine, Vermillion, SD, 1990
- Orthopedic Surgery, KU School of Medicine–Wichita, Wichita, KS, 1995
- Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery, Lake Tahoe Fracture & Orthopedic, South Lake Tahoe, CA, 1996
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1998
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Medical Association
- South Dakota State Medical Association
- Black Hills Surgical Hospital
- Rapid City Regional Hospital
- All surrounding high schools
- U.S. Pro Ski Tour, Medical Staff Member
- Earned numerous patents in developing techniques and implants for minimally invasive knee/shoulder arthroscopic surgeries used world wide
- Arthroscopic ACL/PCL reconstructions of the knee
- Arthroscopic meniscal repair of the knee
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair of the shoulder
- Arthroscopic labral/Bankart/SLAP repair of the shoulder
- Total joint reconstructive surgery including the knee, hip, and shoulder
- Treatment of fractures and trauma
- Repairs of all extremities, such as ligament and tendon repairs and reconstructions
Patents & New Techniques Developed by Dr. Fromm
- Fromm Positioning Triangles
- Produced and distributed worldwide by Innomed
- RapidLoc Meniscal Repair System
- Produced and distributed worldwide by Mitek Worldwide
- Released domestically April 2001.
- Released internationally May 2001.
- ACL Reconstruction with Bone-Tendon-Bone Transplants Using the Endobutton CL BTB Fixation System
- Produced and distributed by Smith & Nephew Endoscopy
- Released domestically and internationally Summer 2004. Revised 2008 and 2015.
- Omnispan Meniscal Repair System
- Produced and distributed worldwide by Johnson & Johnson/Mitek
- Released domestically and internationally Spring 2010.
- Knotilus Surgical Repair System for Shoulder Instability
- Produced and distributed by Stryker Orthopedics Worldwide
- Released domestically April 2012.
- Released internationally May 2012.
- Dr. Fromm is currently working as a consultant for OR Medical Products, Inc (based in Israel)
- Patent 6238418 "Meniscal Repari Device" issued 5/29/01
- Patent 6293961 "Suture Locking Device" issued 9/25/01
- Patent 6306159 "Meniscal Repair Device" issued 10/23/01
- Patent 6319271 "Suture Locking Device" issued 11/20/01
- Patent 6533802 "Endobutton Continuous Loop for Bone-Tendon-Bone" issued 3/18/03
- Patent 6866673 "Suture Manipulating and/or Cutting Implement" issued 3/15/05
- Patent 6884249 "Surgical Knot Pusher and Method of Use" issued 04/26/05
- Patent 7390332 "Methods and Devices for Repairing Tissue" issued 6/24/08
- Patent 7530990 "Endobutton Continuous Loop for Bone Tendon with Double Loop Knot" issued 5/12/09
- Patent 8075574 B2 "Surgical Knot Pusher and Method of Use" issued 12/13/2011
- Patent 8512374 "Soft Tissue Locking Device" issued 8/20/2013
- Patent 8696704 "Methods and Devices for Repairing Tissue" issued 4/15/2014
- Patent 8790369 "Apparatus and Method for Repairing Tissue" issued 7/29/2014
- Patent 9211114 “Method of Coating Tissue to Promote Soft Tissue and Bone Tissue Healing Involving Nanotechnology and Photonic Curing” issued 2/27/16
- Patent 9421012 “Apparatus and Method for Repairing Tissue”
- Patent 9808242 “Knotless Filament Anchor for Soft Tissue Repair” issued 11/07/2017
- Note - patents, techniques, and developments pending.
Research, Presentations, & Publications
- "Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome: An Approach to the Diagnosis and Management of Small Intestinal Obstruction with an Unclear Etiology" Fromm, S.E., and Cash, J., South Dakota Medical Journal, Vol. 43, 11:5 - 10, Nov., 1990.
- Presented at The American College of Surgeons, South Dakota Chapter, April 28, 1990.
- Received Chester B. McVay Award, 1990.
- "Septic Arthritis of the Hip in an Adult Following Repeated Femoral Venipuncture; A Case Report" Fromm, S.E., and Toohey, J.S., Orthopedics, 1996; 19: 1047-1048.
- "Infection Resistant Implants" Fromm, S.E., Cooke, F.W., and McQueen, D.A.
- University of Kansas 4th Annual Research Forum Award
- Presented at the Kansas Orthopedic Society Annual Meeting, Oct. 21, 1994.
- "A Biomechanical Comparison of Initial Fixation of Two Endoscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Constructs; Achilles Tendon versus Patellar Ligament" Osland, J.D., Fromm, S.E., and Jansson, K.A.
- "Residents Learn by Making Game of It; Orthopedic Quiz Bowl"
- Featured in Orthopedics Today by Lee Beadling (staff writer) Vol. 16, 2: 30-31, Feb. 1996.
- "Fracture Pearls and Casting Clinic"
- A lecture and splinting/casting clinic given to the surrounding 5-state region of primary healthcare providers biannually.
- "The RapidLoc Advantage"
- Video presentation produced and distributed worldwide by Mitek
- "RapidLoc Meniscal Repair System"
- A surgical technique guide published and distributed worldwide by Mitek
- "Meniscus Repair – RapidLoc"
- Presented at the 7th Annual Lake Tahoe Knee and Shoulder Update December 6th, 2002.
- "Surgical Techniques in Orthopaedics – Meniscal Repair"
- A DVD – video program produced and released by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in 2003 includes “The RapidLoc Advantage”
- "Entrepreneurial Medicine – From Idea to End Point"
- Presented at the Western Research Alliance, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology, March 29, 2003.
- "Meniscus Repair – RapidLoc"
- Presented at “Knee and Shoulder Update”, Colorado Springs, CO; Jan. 2004.
- "Knee and Shoulder Update"
- Instructional Laboratory, Colorado Springs, CO; Jan. 2004.
- "ACL Reconstruction with Bone-Tendon-Bone Transplants Using the Endobutton CL BTB Fixation System"
- A surgical technique guide published and distributed by Smith & Nephew Endoscopy
- "ACL Reconstruction Using Endobutton CL BTB Fixation System"
- Presented at the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery; San Francisco, CA; March 10 and 12, 2004.
- Presented at AGA ArbeitsGemeinschaft fur Arthroskopie: Lucerne, Switzerland; Oct. 1, 2004.
- Presented at the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery; Washington D.C.; February 24, 2005.
- "Meniscal Repairs: Myths and Truths"
- Presented at ISAKOS (International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine); Hollywood, Florida; April 3, 2005.
- Author, "Bone-Patellar Tendon – Bone Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Using the Endobutton Continuous Loop BTB Fixation System", The Anterior Cruciate Ligament: Reconstruction and Basic Science, Editor, CC Prodromos, Saunders-Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, 2008, pp 373-380.
- Author, "ACL Reconstruction with Bone-Tendon-Bone Transplants Using the Endobutton CL BTB Fixation System" (revised technique).
- A surgical technique guide published and distributed worldwide by Smith & Nephew Endoscopy. 2008.
- Author, "Knotilus Surgical Repair Technique for Shoulder Instability".
- A surgical technique guide published and distributed by Stryker Orthopedics Worldwide. 2012
Phone: (605) 341-1414
Office: Rapid City, SD