Dr. Eckrich is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in back, neck, spine, and pediatric orthopedics. He began practicing at Black Hills Orthopedic & Spine Center in 1995.
After graduating from Saint John’s University in Collegeville, Minnesota, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in biology and his Bachelor of Science degree in medicine from the University of South Dakota School of Medicine in Vermillion, South Dakota, he went on to receive his Doctor of Medicine degree at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas.
Thereafter, Dr. Eckrich completed his internship at the Naval Medical Center in San Diego, California. Following his internship, Dr. Eckrich completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas.
After Dr. Eckrich completed his residency, he went on to complete his fellowship in Pediatric Spine and Hip Deformity at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics in Iowa City, Iowa. Dr. Eckrich is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
When Dr. Eckrich is not seeing patients, he enjoys flying, building his airplane, participating in family activities, hunting, fishing, waterskiing, and kiteboarding.
- Saint John’s University, Collegeville, MN, 1981
- University of South Dakota School of Medicine, Vermillion, SD, 1984
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1986
- Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA, 1987
- Orthopedic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1995
- Pediatric Spine and Hip Deformity, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Iowa City, IA, 1995
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1997
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- South Dakota Orthopaedic Association
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- South Dakota State Medical Association
- South Dakota State Representative, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Children’s Care Hospital and Outreach Board of Directors, Rapid City, SD
- Consulting Specialty Staff Appointment, Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children, Minneapolis, MN
- Black Hills Surgical Hospital
- Rapid City Regional Hospital
- Scoliosis and other spinal deformities
- Pediatric orthopedics
- General orthopedics
Research, Presentations, & Publications
- "The Effect of Femoral Rotation on the Radiographic Appearance of the Femur", Eckrich, Stephen G.J., Noble, Philip C., Tullos, Hugh S.
- Baylor College of Medicine, Paul R. Harrington Award, Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery 1991.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Scientific Exhibit, Washington, D.C., 1992.
- Accepted for Publication, Journal of Arthroplasty, 1993.
- "Mal Sizing of Uncemented Femoral Stems: A Common Error due to Invalid Pre-operative Assumptions", Eckrich, Stephen G.J., Noble, Philip C., Tullos, Hugh S.
- Mid American Orthopedic Associations, South Hampton, Bermuda, 1994.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, San Francisco, CA, 1993.
- American Orthopedic Association, Resident’s Conference, Seattle, WA, 1993.
- "Estimation of Femoral Rotation using Plain Radiographs", Eckrich, Stephen G.J., Noble, Philip C., Tullos, Hugh S.
- American Orthopaedic Association, Resident’s Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, 1992.
Phone: (605) 341-1414
Rapid City, SD